[hpsdr] Atlas Update - From whence we have come

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Mon May 8 22:49:47 PDT 2006

Some comments inline.

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)

At 11:07 PM 5/8/2006, Alex wrote:
><....>
>Is a 10MHz or a 1pps reference signal going to be supported? If so, it it
>going to be distributed over the backplane?

It is my intent to bring a 1pps signal into the Ozy/Xylo/Lionheart thing
and to do code for it to reference count a signal - I do not know if this
will be via a

>Does OZY have the throughput to handle both a MERCURY and a JANUS board
>operating at the same time?

Don't know, but suspect it will.  The GNUradio USRP folks can get 32
MBytes/second over the USB bus with the setup they have that is essentially
the same parts we're looking at for Ozy (least I think they are -- Phil C
would be the one to know for sure).  They are open soruce as well so we can
always flatter them and use some of their code.

>What the project need is some design documentation, so that folks who want
>to design a curcuit know how to integrate it in. I'd be tickled pink with
>some block diagrams!

Some more doco would certainly be good.  Will be hard to come up with a
whole system block diagram as we are not building a single system - we're
building a set of configurable hardware blocks that can be put together
into a system with appropriate CPLD and FPGA images on the blocks.

>So, yes, I would hold my order until the group has a baselined design for
>JANUS, OZY and ATLAS. JANUS is going through a redesign currently! If I
>have to I'll run a set of boards myself.

Not sure Janus is doing a total redesign, just changing the CODEC ...
basically a good thing in that we did not succumb to 'go fever' until we
check out the last chip that hopefully will work out to 192khz