[hpsdr] [ATLAS] Is 6 slots enough?

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Thu May 11 18:43:26 PDT 2006

Chris

Thanks, I'll take a look at your alpha board when I get it...

Folks: Chris has sent me his Alpha Atlas board including all lights, power
supplies and connectors for Lyle to use in his presentation at Dayton in our
SDR Forum! Lyle will be presenting all our interests at Dayton! Looks like
that job is going to be a work in progress right up till the last minute!
Thanks Chris for furthering this phenom, and being a valuable leader in the
'hpsdr village'.

I am not sure that leaving the end mounted connectors off will allow an end
to end daisy chain of boards, and would be a kludge in any respect. I would
prefer a future Atlas design with more slots, or a better daisy chain design
which we suggested with rear mount power connectors before Phil_C posted his
current slick design. On that Teamspeak Xylo forum, we had good ideas but
were 'flopping around'. The design was 4 slots at the time so that it would
fit in my beloved Aria Mini-itx enclosure (the drift at the time).
Subsequently Phil_C came out with the current design which appeared to have
enough slots for the HPSDR. (And blew my Aria out of the water, as an
enclosure (drat! (smile)))

At this point in the design cycle, with the Atlas already alpha tested and
qualified. I am for sticking with 6 connectors until someone puts some
organization to the pleasurable chaos of proposed add on's.

What I think we need now, is a logical argument why we CAN'T do all the
stuff suggested with six slots? I SURELY can see an Atlas>Ozy>Gibralter as a
stand alone time/frequency reference accessory in my shack!

The Atlas is the foundation of EVERYTHING we do, unless we connect boards
for GPIO across the top of all the proposals we should restrain ourselves to
this design. The 'future' of radio is always tomorrow, and I can visualize
it. For today, with good design, six slots is enough, (More than my feeble
brain can associate! I am on Overload in the past 100 messages or so
anyway!)

I say let's hang right in there with the current Alpha proven design and be
as efficient as we can distributing resources on the Project boards.

Eric - AA4SW