[hpsdr] Operating Configurations

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu May 11 20:29:34 PDT 2006

Hello Chris!

> Anyway, my solution may be wrong and someone else has a better one, but
> the issue is there, I think, no matter what.
>
> Comments?

What if we dedicate yet another ATLAS tine - X16C0/pin A18 - to a 1-wire
bus and add a Dallas 1-wire serial number chip with EEPROM (DS2430
series, for example)?  You can have a gazillion of these - more than
we'll ever have slots - and each one has a unique electronic serial
number besides.  The protocol to enumerate the devices is readily
available and easy to implement.

And you can hang other goodies on the 1-wire bus, like temp sensors, or
a real time clock for Gibraltor to keep accurate, or A/D converters and
I/O ports and...

Zero impact on the I2C bus or its limited addressing space.

And - bonus time - the protocol is like morse code: dots and dashes and
spaces!

Who could ask for anything more?

73,

Lyle KK7P (who is having entirely too much fun with all this)