[hpsdr] JTAG explanation and sample code

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Fri May 12 09:27:47 PDT 2006

>> If parallel where can I purchase one or how do I homebrew one
>>(preferred)?

>I think you'll find the details on the Altera site for the Altera
>Byteblaster.  So far, the CPLDs and FPGAs are Altera in the HPSDR
>project.  There is no guarantee that future boards will use Altera.

><http://www.digilentinc.com/> has lots of inexpensive programming
>dongles, though focused on Xilinx products.

Altera has their ByteBlaster JTAG programmer info available at:
http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-cables.jsp

Also see this site for a homebrew version of the Byteblaster cable:
http://www.min.at/OE1RIB/FPGA/

Here is a schematic of a parallel port JTAG cable that works with the
Xilinx software:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/programr/files/0380507.pdf

For  Opensource JTAG programming software, (supports some Altera parts,
not sure if it supports the parts currently under consideration) see:

http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/

-Ray	WB6TPU