[hpsdr] Janus Rev B Update

Phil Harman pvharman at arach.net.au
Sat May 13 05:21:02 PDT 2006

Helmut,

The opposite sideband suppression  is a function of the  amplitude and phase
balance between the  I/Q transmit signals.  From memory  60dB of suppression
requires 0.01 degree of phase balance and 0.01dB of amplitude balance.  Both
of these are within the capabilities of the PowerSDR software. But in
practice you may be limited by what hardware the I/Q signals drive.  The
carrier balance is dependant on the modulators used in the I/Q hardware and
 >60dB is certainly achievable with relatively simple circuits.

With my current hardware the sideband suppression is much less that the
intermods produced by my 100w PA so there is no real need to improve it.

No reason why the Janus board can't appear as a sound card in Windows - we
just need to find someone to write a driver for it!

One reason perhaps for not doing that, at least for the HPSDR, is that we
don't want to add any processing overhead on the data to/from the A/D/A
converters. With the current code that Bill has added to PowerSDR we grab
the A/D data directly off the USB interface and work on it immediately.

73's Phil...VK6APH