[hpsdr] Question - phase noise and reflock

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Sun May 14 08:54:28 PDT 2006

If the device is used as a frequency correction device, with no attempt
made to do phase locking, then the phase noise performance hit will be
almost nonexistent.  This would be accomplished by having the
measurements made of the frequency offset (the TCXO steering voltage,
WITHOUT actually steering the oscillator) and the results reported to
the SDR software which would publish a corrected frequency to the rest
of the environment.  There is no reason to pay a phase noise induced
noise floor penalty UNLESS YOU NEED phase locking.  The phase noise
under this scheme would still be determined by the stability of the
final hardware crystal oscillator.  There would be infrequent phase
discontinuities caused in the entire receive chain by correction the
frequency in software.  I would set a "demanded accuracy"  in the
software and if the TCXO correcting voltage change exceeded the demanded
accuracy (threshold) then a change would be published in the software
(and possibly DDS hardware).  This "dead band" would be the source of
the continued phase stability.

Let me say that with a thermistor (50 C) soldered to my Volpey_Fisher
oscillator in the SDR-1000,  it is the rock of Gibraltar (pun intended)
and does not drift more than 1 Hz so these corrections to the software
would be infrequent indeed if (say) between 0.1 and 1 part in 10^6 is
enough accuracy.

Bob