Re: [hpsdr] Ozy – Schematic OZY_REVXA3.sch (comments)

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed May 17 10:58:03 PDT 2006

On 5/17/06, Alex <harvilchuck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Phil,
> If there still is a worry about bandwith limitations on the USB (say like having other devices - keyboards, mice, etc - on the same USB host controller) how about sending the data via cat5 ethernet or fiber. Leave the control on USB. A software widget is then needed on the host computer to expose an interface for PowerSDR.
>
> Here's a neat little device that some compatriots from Europe found:
>
> http://www.edtp.com/nicholas_page.htm
>
> Might be useful on CASMIR and HORTON for tower mounting microwave transceiver equipment.
>
> Alex, N3NP

Hi Alex,

I would not consider anything less than gigabit ethernet if I was
going through the trouble of adding an ethernet interface.  ASIX has a
very interesting chip like the one in the NICholas but it will do
giga... now if I could only find a source for that part...

I am keeping my eye on PCIe solutions (x1 2.5 GbPS).  Phillips and TI
make PHY chips that will work with the Cyclone II.  I envision having
a PCIe card in the PC.  From the PC to the HPSDR would be fiber using
GBICs.

73 de Phil N8VB