[hpsdr] I2C vs 1-wire

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed May 17 11:44:29 PDT 2006

On 5/17/06, Alex <harvilchuck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We were doing this in case of someone wanting to connect two ATLAS boards?

What happens if a few of the boards have more than one I2C EEPROM?
The EEPROM on the OZY takes one address slot.  That leaves 7.  The
1-Wire bus only takes up 1 wire, uses an extra serial port on the FX2
that would have gone unused 99.99% of the time, and does not have the
addressing limitations.  It also gives us the ability to differentiate
between multiple boards with the same function by the unique 64 bit
serial number.

>Wouldn't we run into timing and signal loss issues interconnecting the boards?

Not if it is done correctly.

>Wouldn't it be better just to run a whole other independent chassis
plugged into the USB?

That is a possibility... depends on what you are doing...

> I'm just wondering the conditions that would lead to this. I'm also wondering how often we think it might happen.
>
> Alex, N3NP

73 de Phil N8VB