[hpsdr] Mechanical considerations for ATLAS cards

Christopher T. Day CTDay at lbl.gov
Mon May 22 12:37:43 PDT 2006

Typically, exactly the opposite arguments are made for all the in-house
electronics made for every large High Energy Physics experiment I've
ever been on.

1) Having the I/O connectors opposite the backplane connector means that
all meaningful access to the card can be done from the front of the
rack. With a top-loading box, the whole box must be removed from the
rack to replace a card. This is awkward at best and dangerous if the box
is on slides and the rack can tip over.

2) Having the cables in the back means that they must be removed from
all cards, typically, to pull out the box. At the very least, all cables
must have enough slack to pull out the box.

3) At least front and back of the rack both must be readily accessible.

Currently, the WinterOvers at the South Pole are grumpy enough having to
replace boards in a back-plane design. Having to slide boxes in and out
would be completely impractical.

The PC box's connector placement is, I suspect, designed for a bottom
motherboard in order to provide lots of room for active components on
that board. We only have a few passive components on Atlas. Also
remember how old the PC design is; way back when, it took a lot of stuff
on the motherboard to make anything happen.

I don't think PC cases are particularly well designed for experimental
electronics. They're just cheap.

	Chris - AE6VK

P.S. - It's not really me that you have to convince, but the guys doing
the layouts. So far, they all seem to have connectors on the opposite
side from the DIN-41612 connector.