[hpsdr] HORTON

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Mon May 22 14:21:14 PDT 2006

I second this.  There is some hope that we can get very good performance
with the mercury board through the processing gain associated with
filtering and decimation from 135 e+6 samples per second down to (say) 8
e 3 samples per second.  That is a very large theoretical (emphasis on
theory) processing gain and must be accompanied by actual filters in
front of the A/D's.  Note: blocking dynamic range will be determined by
the instantaneous dynamic range of the A/D's so it is a little out of
whack with "normal receivers" if anything we have been doing in the last
few years with all of this is "normal".  Never mind,  it will be a very
nice receiver indeed to have  larger than 100 dB dynamic range while
processing the entirety of 20 meters!  With some care on parts selection
to get parts that exceed the performance of the QSD in the SDR-1000, we
can certainly exceed is performance with Horton.  Most of the
degradation we have seen in the SDR-1000 QSD with increasing frequency,
I believe, is due to aperture jitter induced by parts and layout and not
by theoretical shortcomings of the  QSD.  This was overcome in the
SDR-1000 by using a preamp in front of the QSD on the "RFE" board with
sufficient gain for it to determine the system noise figure as some cost
in IP3 and IMD DR3.

My brain is still a little fuzzy from getting home at 3:30 AM! and
getting up for work at 7 AM.  I know it is fuzzy because I think all of
that work at Dayton was fun.

Bob
N4HY