[hpsdr] HOLY COW - Janus and Ozy board layouts are WRONG!

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Wed May 24 16:46:26 PDT 2006

>While the layouts may be wrong for a PC they are right for a standard
rack mount (not pc) .
>If the connectors are moved adjacent to the Din connectors you will now
ONLY have a PC  mount.
>Not a board which may be mounted in either case (chassis).. VME and
cPCI all have their boards mounted with connectors opposite >the
Din...They seem to still work..The company I work for, DRS-SS makes a
VERY good living using those type of boards.
>Contrary to what Alex mentioned ATLAS may still be mounted in a PC in
the normal manner allowing the boards to be inserted and >removed
without removing ATLAS with the addition of a simple harness to the back
connector.
>If it is absolutely necessary to make these boards "PC" only then at
least KEEP the current designs as an alternate for the rest of >the
world...and the Antarctic.

>No I don't have a SDR-1000. I have no vested interest in either method.
And no I wasn't here at the beginning. I do have a strong >interest in
SDR and I just don't think a mistake should be compounded to exclude
other uses.

>Peter Hughes N7BMG/3

I tend to agree with Peter's comments. Depending on whether the i/o
connectors are located opposite the DIN or on the adjacent side from the
DIN the boards will be optimized for different uses. Personally, my goal
is to put together a compact stand alone portable rig that doesn't
depend on an external PC. To than end, I think a more compact housing
can be found/built that is not a PC specific chassis.

The use of a PC chassis certainly will simplify some mechanical issues
and very well may be preferred for some applications.

I back the proposal to fab at least some of the Janus and Ozy boards
with the connector opposite the DIN configuration (as they are presently
laid out). A second layout could always be done to move the connectors
by those so inclined (open designs encourage derivative works).

Whatever the ultimate decision turns out to be I can go with it, but for
my particular application I like the 'WRONG' layout .

73   Ray   WB6TPU