[hpsdr] My $0.02 worth on board size...

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Thu May 25 12:51:07 PDT 2006

Alex wrote:

> I agree with Mike, it was very well said and summarized.
>

> This is an important topic, we need to settle on what physical options we are going to support.
>
> I would eliminate the plug jacks on the Janus - those things are unreliable and a major pain when they break.
> Go with a higher density connector (like the Delta 44), that will give folks the option to fabricate up whatever harness they would like. It solves the problem of not having enough space for connectors.

Yes.  Let's not go down the road of the SDR-1000 with these connectors.
Too many times I have searched for a problem that turned out to be
nothing more than a messed up connection.

> If we use a 100x185 format with the external connectors on the left, we can slide the ATLAS bus connector to as far as we can to the left (say keep the end of the connector 30mm from the left side of the board).
>
> For those people worrying about "I want to make a small box as possible", my question back to you is how small is small?
> What are your requirements? Fitting in a piece of luggage in the overhead bin of ain airplane? Fitting in the space shuttle?
> I propose that I could come up with a packaging solution that will meet your needs, but provide the option for a larger card format.

For me personally,  I don't care about small or low power for this so
long as Atlas and the power supply can handle it.  I am concerned that
if Phil C goes through the progression he has mentioned before and we
load Atlas and Pinnochio (did we change this because no one knows who
Geppetto is?) with Mercury's, the Stratix follow on to to Ozy,
Sasquatch, Janus, etc.  we might be taxing the limits of these little
power supplies.
> By using the card cage that Eric is suggesting we are stuck with the 100x100mm format. Yes, it is an open design and anyone can fabricate any size board they wish, but if we go with my proposal we keep the design open to other card sizes.
>
> Yes and card size larger than 100x100 would cost more, but if we can cram more functionality on a card and reduce the total number of cards, then we are still ahead economically.
>
> I'm trying to design CASMIR and I am beginning to doubt that I can cram everything onto 100x100mm.
>
> Alex, N3NP

Good luck,
Bob