[hpsdr] Some thoughts on plug-in board layout

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu May 25 14:24:12 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:
> Phil,
>
> >> I see pluses and minuses to each form factor.  I don't have any
> >> problem changing it or redoing the OZY layout (since it isn't too far
> >> along).  Lyle is further along on JANUS and he makes some good points
> >> about signal flow in a previous post.  It matters less with the OZY
> >> board since it is pretty much all digital signals (other than the USB)
> >> and there are not the concerns of separating the analog and digital
> >> sections like there is in the JANUS.
> >>
> >> Take a look at the drawing about and please comment.  We need to get
> >> this resolved soon so we proceed with the JANUS and OZY.
>
> This makes the smallest card 100mm high and 120mm wide if I understand
> the drawing correctly.
>
> I'll see if I can fit Janus into this footprint.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Hi Lyle,

Yes, the smallest would be 100x120mm if we adopt the form factors
spelled out in the PDF drawing I did.  Basically anything between
100x120mm and 100x220mm should be no problem to fit in an ATX case (if
so inclined).  I just showed different board lengths based on Alex's
proposal (100x185mm) and added some of my own:

100x120mm
100x160mm
100x185mm
100x220mm

The smallest size (100x120mm) was based on having enough clearance
around the DIN41612 and still allowing external connectors to go all
the way to the bottom of the board.

The largest size (100x220mm) was based on staying within the ATX
motherboard footprint.  I think the PCI card spec says that PCI cards
can be 312mm long, but I haven't seen any that long in a long while!
220mm (8.6") keeps us within the 9.6" length ATX motherboard
footprint.

The cards and ATLAS ATX power connector are oriented so the power
connector is located as the ATX spec suggests.

73 de Phil N8VB