[hpsdr] Universal synth bus and stuff

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 05:01:36 PDT 2006

Jonathan,
A PDF document describing ATLAS and the but definitions is available at (http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx?id=217) and some additional information at (http://www.needles.de/pics/Atlas_Bus_Def.pdf)

Alex, N3NP

----- Original Message ----
From: Naylor Jonathan <naylorjs at yahoo.com>
To: hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:09:31 AM
Subject: [hpsdr] Universal synth bus and stuff

In the land if uwsdr we have been talking about the problem of
different command sets and buses for the different DDSs and
synthesizers that we are planning to use. At the moment all of the
chips we are looking at are SPI, but I2C is common and we may need to
handle that too.

We are thinking that it may be better to define our own, very simple,
serial bus to control the oscillators, and have a PIC on each RF board
to convert that to the required commands for that chip. Therefore
making all of the RF boards appear almost identical apart from the
frequencies used.

What does the HPSDR team think?

Also we are looking to be compatible with HPSDR at the socket level so
we can interchange hardware, but unless someone defines a pin standard
soon, we will have to go our own way.

Jonathan   ON/G4KLX

http://mail.yahoo.com
HPSDR Discussion List