[hpsdr] Janus & Ozy.

Cecilio Bayona kd5nwa at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 14:04:14 PST 2006

Rob Frohne wrote:
> Woh!  I hope you are not correct with that $500 estimate.  I also hope
> there are bare boards available for those of us who prefer to build our
> own.  $500 is way out of my price range.
>
> With samples, I expect it should be more like $100 if  you build your
> own.  I don't have a good idea of what it would be without samples
> though.
>
> Using a temperature controlled toaster oven, it is pretty fast to build
> these boards, and the solder connections are so much better than
> anything I can do by hand.  Here I have the capability to make solder
> stencils as well.  I could make a few of them, and then builders could
> use them to put the solder paste on, and then mail them to the next guy
> on the list who would do the same.  All the folks would need to have
> their parts all on hand when they do the solder paste application,
> because the paste doesn't stay nice for too long after you apply it.
> (You need to bake it the same day.)  My assembly language class project
> this quarter is to make temperature controllers for the cheap toasters
> found in WalMart to use them for soldering.  The total parts cost is
> around $100 for those.  Wouldn't it be more fun to build your own
> toaster oven soldering station, and then build your Janus and Ozy boards
> with it than to purchase Janus and Ozy already built already by TAPR or
> whoever?
>
> I noted that the original Atlas boards that were distributed by
> volunteers were much cheaper than the ones from TAPR.  I guess we are
> now paying for the packing and kitting hassles by going to TAPR.
>
> 73,
>
> Rob, KL7NA
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 09:57 -0600, Cecilio Bayona wrote:
>>
>> jeffrie cook wrote:
>>> ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have Atlas and Pinocchio at the ready, and understand from looking at
>>> WiKi that Janus and Ozy will be ready during the first quarter of 2007,
>>> but haven't been able to find any estimate of price for those two
>>> assemblies, has anybody any idea.  Rather relieved that they will only
>>> be available as completed assemblies.  Great stuff and thanks from Jeff
>>> Cook G0AFQ.

>> I've heard it's going to be in the neighborhood of $500 for the two. I
>> hope not, that is so far away from the initial goal of this group.

I hope so also, $500 is a bit steep for me too.

I'm a fan of oven soldering, I have a tutorial at my site for using a
toaster oven, and links for using an embossing gun, and a skillet also.

<  URL:http://www.hpsdr.com/Public/Projects/SMT/SMT.html  >

Using an oven the boards I have done have come out beautiful, so it's my
favorite way of doing SMT boards, the air gun is my next favorite mode,
the skillet I don't trust, it's only good for single sided boards.

I have on my list of projects to build is a temperature controller for a
toaster oven. I would be nice to control the temperature profile a
little more accurately and alert me when critical temperatures are reached.

--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"	Don Seglio Batuna