[hpsdr] New RF Digitizer

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Tue Nov 14 09:13:11 PST 2006

Ramakrishnan:

They are definitely getting processing gain. However,  if you want to
talk about processing gain,  check out Mercury again.

It is a 16 bit part with 135 MHz sampling fed to Cyclone II for the
digital downconversion.  SWEET!    So when thinking about
Atlas+Ozy+Mercury remember that the signal path from A/D to USB 2.0 will
have two cascaded Cyclone II's.  This will provide quite a bit of
processing power.   The 16 bit part from Linear Technologies has a large
real dynamic range based on both their own spec sheets and measurements
and calculations Phil has done using the evaluation board.  If you look
at the Mercury Wiki at Phil's set up for these tests,  it is easy to see
that there was all sorts of potential for problems with the breadboard
construction and still the Ozy/LTC2208 evaluation board performed
brilliantly.     look forward to playing with my Mercury/Ozy/Atlas hardware!

While I am supportive of the RFSpace people and efforts,  they will not
compete with the performance of the (not yet delivered) HPSDR hardware.
What they do SPECTACULARLY well on is their software suite.  I wish it
were open source ;-).   Moe and Peter and friends are really capable
people and I hope they do really well with this stuff.

Bob

--
Robert W. McGwier, Ph.D.
Center for Communications Research