[hpsdr] Linux ALSA driver for HPSDR

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 15:52:05 PDT 2006

Hi James,

Actually we are not using a sound driver with the JANUS board.  I
think you may be confusing vSOUND with what we are doing on HPSDR.
vSOUND is not part of HPSDR, it is something I am doing personally and
the holdup has been more of a wait and see to determine if a common
driver can be written for XP and Vista.

In OZY/JANUS we use libUSB (which works in both Windows and Linux) to
get the sound card data.

We could use a lot of help in writing equivalent utilities that run in
Linux like what we have now for Windows.  Also if you would like to
take on writing a driver in Linux that makes OZY/JANUS look like a
standard sound card that could be accessed in PortAudio it would be
great.

73 de Phil N8VB