[hpsdr] DSP chips

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 10:28:57 PDT 2006

On 10/16/06, Howard Long <howard at howardlong.com> wrote:

> Hi Phil
>
> > Are there any 32 bit DSP chips from either TI or Analog that has free
> > development tools?
>
> I forgot to add that TI Code Composer Studio toolchain is available in a
> fully functioning time limited edition (120 day) for most of the currently
> supported TI range.
>
> This includes debuggers, simulators and code generation tools.
>
> Once the 120 days is up, almost the entire package breaks, including C
> compiler and linker.
>
> There are ways around this, like reinstalling your OS, or virtualising the
> environment and performing time travel, but then that's hardly something I
> would promote.
>
> 73, Howard G6LVB

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the additional info.  I will download Code Composer and
give it a whirl.

The reason for the initial inquiry is that I want a stand alone radio.
 I am trying to finally decide whether to go the dedicated DSP route
or to use something like a mini or nano ITX board.  I know that there
is a considerable difference in power consumption, but there are some
very attractive features of using a PC running Linux inside the box.

A lot to think about for sure...

73 de Phil N8VB