[hpsdr] MDS, IMD-DR, IP3

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Mon Oct 30 08:11:40 PST 2006

Christopher T. Day wrote:

> Bob,
>
> So, if I get this right, if I'm using an SDR-1000 as the I/Q source to
> my Janus, then I should take JP3 & JP4 _out_, so that the attenuation is
> _in_ as this gives better strong signal immunity without damaging
> sensitivity as seen at the antenna input of the SDR-1000. Right?
>

> 	Chris - AE6VK
>
> P.S. - Anyone know if there is a Teamspeak session today? I've been out
> of touch too long. Thanks. [Berlin was very nice indeed. Museum heaven.]

Yes.  With the SDR-1000,   you should leave the jumpers OFF.   You will
be using the unbalanced plug.  The Janus improves the noise floor on my
system over the Delta-44 by a few dB and it has much higher head room.
The overall dynamic range improves!  The SDR-1000 is the limiting factor
in this case.  This is a good thing.  One thing I am anxious to try once
I get a bit further down the road,  I want to "knife" the INA's out of
the SDR-1000,  which removes the switcher power supply influence on the
signal path, and take the differential output from the QSD and tie
directly to the Janus balanced inputs.  I believe this will be a great
combination but I am going to wait a bit.  I love my Elecraft K2 but I
don't want to lost my SDR-1000 just yet.  ;-).

I am getting very excited for HPSDR to have its first real hardware "in
the wild".  I do hope everyone appreciates the extremely high level and
quality of work being done on hardware and software by the participants
in the work on Ozymandias, Janus, Atlas.

http://n4hy.smugmug.com/gallery/2061313

Bob
N4HY

--