[hpsdr] My doubts about I/Q beam-forming

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 19:49:52 PDT 2006

Murray:

So long as the total bandwidth of the signal or band of interest is
small compared to the carrier,   beam forming by adjustment of the LO's
by analog phase shifters or by simple phase rotations in software all
will work to do beam forming.   If you want you can read all sorts of
literature about "narrow band" phased arrays.  Beam forming by simple
I/Q rotation will indeed work so long as all the LO's, A/D's,  etc.  in
the system of coherent.   They cannot be wandering around or independent
of each other and still have the rotation by multiplication do beam
forming.  So while not completely trivial in hardware,  it is a pretty
simple concept.

Bob
N4HY