[hpsdr] DDC

Wed Sep 6 15:43:36 PDT 2006

FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

> A friend told me DDCs have poor dynamic range. Am I blind but can't seem
> to find anything about dynamic range in the A.D. data.  I was told they
> work great in cell phones because int receiver input power is fairly
> constant. frank

I've generally assumed that an A/D converter is preceded by some AGC to
make sure that you are digitizing a signal close to the max that the AD
converter is expecting.
Cell Phone receiver dynamic range varies depending on the system, but is
at least 60 dB at the antenna. The Receive chain has several AGC stages
to make sure the A/D is operating close to full scale.

Dave