[hpsdr] HPSDR and Beamforming

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Wed Sep 13 22:12:04 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:16:20AM +0800, Murray Lang wrote:

> Thanks Phil
>
> I am looking at using GNU Radio (software) for experimentation. I've
> recently got myself another oldish PC to run Linux for that purpose. Not
> sure what the device driver situation is but if everything was straight
> forward it would be boring I suppose.
>
> While I've got you, can you see any showstoppers in the idea of an external
> phase shifting unit based on the LTC2208? I am imagining a scenario where
> the LTC2208 samples a signal from any old ham rig under the control of an
> FPGA. The FPGA transfers the data to a circular buffer in DDR RAM, waits
> some programmable period, then reads the data and sends it to a DAC. I
> suppose the FPGA speed and amount of RAM required would limit operation to
> HF. It wouldn't matter about the overall processing delay because all of
> the units would be the same. However the resolution of the system would be
> limited by the time taken to write then read the RAM. The units would
> obviously be synchronised to the same clock and I imagine a gyro input
> would be useful to correct for vehicle or vessel rotation. I reckon such a
> unit would sell like hotcakes.
>
> Murray
> VK6HL

Hi Murray,

Let me know if you've got any questions about GNU Radio, or getting
the new hardware talking to it.  I don't expect that it'll be too much
trouble.

Directions on getting the latest code are at http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki
Most of the action takes place on the discuss-gnuradio mailing list.
mailto:discuss-gnuradio-request at gnu.org?subject=subscribe
Archives at http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/discuss-gnuradio/

There are lots of people interested in beam forming and/or MIMO on the
discuss-gnuradio list.

73, Eric K7GNU