[hpsdr] Basic question

pvharman at arach.net.au pvharman at arach.net.au
Sun Sep 17 19:57:45 PDT 2006

Hi Steve,

We are actually going down both paths – have a look at the Horton and Phoenix
projects on the HPSDR Wiki  at

http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HpsdrWiki:Community_Portal

The reasons for doing Mercury are:

1. To see how good the latest ADCs are in comparison with ‘traditional’
analogue  SDR circuitry.

2. The technical reason is ‘because it’s there’ and we like living on the
leading edge (or in some cases the  bleeding edge) of new technology!

3. Long term I expect that the sound card approach to SDR will make way to
direct ADC (and DAC) at the antenna. We want to be well ahead of the rest of
the field when that happens.

4. I get way too much sleep already.

Phil