[hpsdr] Odyssey Siren Design

Joseph Julicher n9wxu at mac.com
Tue Sep 19 21:45:25 PDT 2006

I am about 80% finished in the schematic entry on Siren and ran into
an interesting design idea that may help simplify the power supply
for use in portable (or extraterrestrial) designs.

We are using the TI TLV320AIC31 Codec which has differential inputs
and outputs.
The I/Q demodulator is the standard QSD circuit.
To improve the S/N ratio a good instrumentation amplifier is
typically used after the QSD commutator and before the CODEC.
However, there are two problems:
1) the INAMP requires a bipolar power supply, and
2) the TI CODEC has a differential input and the INAMP will convert
the differential QSD signal to a single ended signal.

I am proposing the following solution:
Put a low noise 10x buffer on each line beween the codec and the qsd.
The LMH6624 is a low noise opamp from National.  At 1MHz it has
0.92nv/sqrt(hz) noise.  That is quite low.
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LMH6624.html

The + and - signals are directly fed to the CODEC.  The circuit shown
provides the following transfer function.

Vout = (Vin - 1.65)10 + 1.65