[hpsdr] Mercury

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 24 11:14:25 PDT 2006

Hello Phil!

> To do what we want we would need a larger FPGA, yes.  The larger FPGA
> and configuration device exceeds the cost of using the AD6636.
>
> Unless we are going to build everything out of 2N2222s then we are
> always going to have the problem of chips becoming obsolete.  I doubt
> the AD6636 is going to become obsolete too soon.  What about the ADC?

How about 2N404s?  :-)

> I am not afraid of BGAs.

Nor am I, I just want to avoid them :-)

But clearly for this product we can't.

We do need a way to put down BGAs for prototyping.  I'm trying to talk
AMSAT into getting a BGA placer-downer (techno speak, I know) to support
this kind of activity.  It would mean the volunteer with the BGA tool
would have to agree to place BGAs for a reasonable number of prototypes
for the HPSDR and AMSAT projects.  Meanwhile, we can pay $200 or so per
BGA to have them placed until we get such a machine.

So, since we're going to have the AD6636 on here anyway, why not put a
larger-capacity FPGA on as well and not worry if it is also BGA or not?

Lyle