[hpsdr] Odyssey Siren Design

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 21:42:40 PDT 2006

Hello Steve,

and thank you for your valuable comment.

1. In some TI application note OPA1632 was suggested as a buffer
before ADCs. According to my limited search the speed and noise
specifications look really good, the 1/f noise is lower than most of
the THS4XXX devices. Maybe, I missed some.

2. I wanted to use SPDT switch, as also suggested by Phil C, in order
to use direct I and Q clocking without 1-to-4 decoder as used in the
present SDR-1000 TRX board. Wider sampling pulses with proper
impedance match, according to my understanding, yield lower losses in
the integrating circuit. I admit that my supply voltage (3.3V)  may be
really above the recommended 3.6V maximum with strong signals. By all
means, use SN74LVC2G53 instead. That seems to be a good choice. For
improved dynamic range I suggest 5V supply and ±5V (or more) for
OPA1632.

3. Your "SN74CB3Q33253" must be a typo. Obviously you mean
SN74CB3Q3253? I don't like 90° sampling pulses as mentioned above.
With the 180° pulsing scheme the clock skew should not be a problem
within I and Q channels individually and any skew errors between I and
Q may be software corrected in the calibration process. Anyhow, if you
can find a DPDT switch that would be great.

73, Ahti OH2RZ