[hpsdr] Dumb question - HPSDR sound card

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Wed Apr 4 09:13:05 PDT 2007

Hello Terry!

> How difficult would it be to take the A/D & D/A and interface them to an
> FPGA or other USB/firewire interface, all on a single, low-cost board? ...
> The cheap PCM2900 boards got me thinking about this potential project.
> Interfacing a better A/D and D/A to USB in such a way that Windows and Linux
> will find them is all that is required.

The TI PCM2900 series products have reasonable performance and no
drivers are required, at least for Windoze.  I think the problem we had
back in 2005 with the integrated Softrock was more PCB layout issue than
a chip limitation problem.

It might be worth doing some research and see what else is out there.
Micronas (< URL:http://www.micronas.com > and look under their USB audio
products) has some interesting parts, some of which may be extensible,
like the UAC 355xB with its I2S interface.

Also, the Creative MP3+ is a reasonable performance USB CODEC that only
costs 420 to $30 and might be a reasonable match to the Softrock.

Anyway, please dig into the available chips and if you see somethng that
looks like it might be worthwhile to pursue... go for it!

73,

Lyle KK7P