[hpsdr] Dumb question - HPSDR sound card

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Wed Apr 4 10:44:31 PDT 2007

> The GNU Radio and HPSDR people are using FPGA chips to
> do this. Why bother if you can buy a programmable
> decimater, mixer, A to D and so on for $15.

In a word, performance.

The Analog Devices Digital down converter chips with decimator, etc.,
were examined very closely for use in Mercury.  Unfortunately, there is
truncation that occurs inside the chip's CIC filters.  This is fine for
the intended application of a cellphone base station, but throws away
some dynamic range that we really want in an HF receiver.  So, the
decision was made to use the FPGA approach.

Which is not to say that an interesting receiver couldn't be made with
some of these chips, just that you have dig deeply and look carefully
before you decide one approach or the other is right, based on your
design goals.

Enjoy!

Lyle KK7P