[hpsdr] Pandora Update: another potential enclosure.

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 9 18:44:54 PDT 2007

Hi Lyle!

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> I've heard of others having problems with large extrusions, and had some
> issues myself with similar extrusions for a product line, although that
> was some years ago and from different companies.

Hhmmn.  We're they warped or dimensionally inaccurate?  I know one of
the attractive things about extrusions is that the extruding process can
be less expensive than other fabrication methods, IE: machining from billet.

Yet, that same inexpensiveness does come at a price, as extrusions can't
hold the same low tolerances as other fabrication methods.

> Have you looked at Lansing?
> URL:http://www.lansing-enclosures.com/siteatlas/index.html > I have used
> their MicroPak series for a lot of projects (and products!) and they are
> an easy company to work with.  Their GrayBox series might be worth
> exploring for Pandora.

Nope, have not looked at Lansing.  In fact, never heard of them until
you mentioned them.  I will take a look at their page tonight and see if
they've got a size in the ballpark that we need.

In other news - in the Ten-Tec arena, I received some feedback from them
today on RF shielding.  They are aware that the plastic bushings do
prevent the top and bottom case halves (clamshells) from grounding to
the case innards.  They've never produced a factory solution but did
offer a rather simple way to shield the case.

If we end up using Ten-Tec do to the End Panel fabrication and a custom
enclosure, we might could get them to incorporate shielding in our run
of cases...

thanks and 73,
ben, KD5BYB
--