[hpsdr] Power Supplies

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 10:36:27 PDT 2007

Chris

I think they have become MUCH Better over the past year or two due to
regulations. I'm still going to try the Pico-PSU and have purchased one. I
don't have any sophisticated test equipment so won't know. Chris has done
most of the testing and the Pico-PSU looks like a pretty good little supply.

Here is an early message from the Archives, however, I think most of the
discussion was in the Xylo-Group, preceding HPSDR. The discussions were
fairly extensive.

http://lists.hpsdr.org/pipermail/hpsdr-hpsdr.org/2006-March/000268.html

There are quite a number of articles on ATX mods on the web.

Eric.

I've been wondering just how "clean" the typicall PC
power supply is.  My guess is that they splatter
all over the HF bands.  If so it's the last thing
you'd want inside a radio chassis. Also most of
the cheap power supplies make a lot of fan noise.
You need to hunt for quiet ones.   I've also
found that they will not power up unless under load
so you need a simulated load, a resister would
do but I used a broken disk drive because it
already had the connector on and acts as its
own heat  sink.

I had not thought about the crowbar (it's a good
idea) but had planned on a 20 foot DC power cable
and some big inductors and caps.