[hpsdr] sampling

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 14:42:16 PDT 2007

At 04:02 AM 4/23/2007, Jason A. Beens wrote:

>I think the "Why" question relates to "why sample at a rate that can
>recreate frequencies outside the range of human hearing, when the
>sampling system is marketed as a sound card?"

My understanding that I read a long time ago (it was in the context
of using oversampling in CD players, where the source material had
already been sampled at 44.1 kHz).

The idea was that when the original audio was sampled, there was a
certain amount of quantization (+ dither) noise created in the
process.  By interpolating the extra samples and digitally filtering
the signal (assuming we use a DSP with greater resolution than 16
bits), and also by using a higher resolution DAC, the original
quantization noise gets spread across 4x the bandwidth (assuming
192.6 kHz as the oversampling rate).  As a bonus, the reconstruction
filter can be made with a less sharp cutoff and a flat phase response
in the 20 - 20000 Hz region.

Of course, sampling at 192.4 kHz and using a higher resolution ADC
initially means you can also use an anti aliasing filter with a flat
phase response on the A/D side as well, then do the rest of the
filtering digitally.  I strongly suspect this is done in practice in
recording studios.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com