[hpsdr] sampling and noise

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:11:23 PDT 2007

This will be the fifth test to be done.  I believe, given my analysis,
that Mercury will have a very good IMD-DR3 and IP2 and IP3.  We need to
measure MDS on all bands of interest so this will be number 4 and is
going to be dependent on several factors (immunity to noises in the
circuit and around it, design of input circuit,etc).  Number 5 will be
various measurements of the blocking dynamic range: that is "how strong
a signal is needed to cause the noise floor to rise by 3 dB" type
measurements and six will be looking for spurs, A/D clock/oscillator
problems, etc.

I am not asking these to be posted, just saying I will be making these
measurements for myself after I buy the earliest one I can get my hands on!

If the Mercury gets around 100 dB IMD-DR3,  at least 30 dBm IP3, and
about 100 dB BDR,  it will be one of the best tools in our arsenal and
provide fantastic capabilities for mapping use of the amateur bands,
doing propagation studies, etc.  It remains to be seen if as an overall
system component (cost, performance, etc.), it competes directly with a
more traditional mixer/LO type system.  In almost every case, we will
need to be careful and not give small or half complete answers.  Having
a 10 dBm IP3 would not be great BUT being able to map propagation over
all of HF and to follow the MUF, etc. easily,  has a lot to say for it
irrespective of what the IP3 is!  I can imagine a fantastic system built
up from a Mercury and more traditional radios if the Mercury does not
cut it as the narrow band processor of choice.

We are living in the hay day of radio RIGHT NOW in terms of technology.
The prices will steadily go down and the capabilities are going to go
steadily up.  It is a lot of fun to watch it.

Bob
N4HY