[hpsdr] Atlas board plated to ease soldering?

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 14:47:24 PDT 2007

Or tinned?

I am finally assembling my TAPR Atlas kit today. After having a bit
of trouble "wetting" several board connections with solder, I
realized I was soldering to the gold plating - there was no tinning
or other plating applied to enable easy wetting with the solder+flux.

My first thoughts were this would be OK because gold is pretty easy
to solder to anyway, but then I noticed the instructions referred to
pre-tinned holes, and the photos I see on the web show a definite
"silvery" look - NOT gold. Maybe those were not production boards in
the photos.

So I am wondering if all production Atlas boards are gold like mine, or what?

I have only soldered the first 30 SMT caps so far, but since I have
hundreds more points to solder, I thought I would ask the Atlas experts.

Oh - I have considerable experience soldering, though not much with
modern SMT stuff.

Anyone?

Jerry W4UK