[hpsdr] Blackfin & SDR

Christophe DONZELOT hb9tln at hb9ww.ampr.org
Sat Aug 18 05:11:17 PDT 2007

> Someone complained that 16-bits is not enough dynamic range but we
> > should all remember that a 16-bit machine can handle numbers of any
> > size just like we can multiply large numbers using pencil and paper one
> > digit at a time 16-bit computers can process 64 or 32 bit numbers 16
> > bits at a time.
> >

> Yeah, yeah, yeah... I can do 32 bit DSP with a 4 bit processor...
> that's not the point.  I am not convinced that the Blackfin is going
> to be fast enough for use at a reasonable IF because of its 16 bit DSP
> engine even running it at 400 or 600 MHz.
>
> What is the IF into the ADC in the FT-450?
>
> Phil N8VB
Hello
The both MAC of the Blackfin can be coupled to obtain a 32*32 bits MAC
with 80 bits accumulator.
I use these devices under uClinux for a video compression project.
Under uClinux you get all the gnu toolchain for free , Analog has ported
an optimised lib for DSP processing .
By coupling both MACs you get "only" 600 MMACs per second @600MHz.
To interface A/D or the FPGA there the PPI bus which is a 16 bits
synchronous parallel port originally aimed for video application with
dedicated DMA modes.
These processors are cheap & powerfull .
You also can use PPI to drive a flat panel.

73
Chris HB9TLN