[hpsdr] SAW oscillators

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 20 18:41:04 PDT 2007

I worked on SAW VCXOs at Andersen Labs for a while and it was quite common to measure phase noise of a little better than -100dBC at 1 KHz for a free running oscillator at 1 GHz.
  A 2.488 GHz oscillator using a 622 MHz resonator with a times 4 multiplier would run around -85 dBC at 1 KHz unlocled. Back then once you welded the lid on you could not go back in  if anything shifted so it went in the trash so I have a few in the junk box.  I should lock one to a reference and see how well it will do.They usually have a 1% tuning range. A double balanced mixer will also work as a multiplier. frank