[hpsdr] ALEX - Input protection

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:39:29 PDT 2007

Hello Graham, All,

Thank you for your reply, I see how you are going to implement this on ALEX.

Just for the sake of understanding and learning:

I was somewhat aware of the energy distribution in frequency of static noise
caused by lightning etc., but in my previous post I was referring to the
direct DC path to ground, the same idea of the solution as pointed to by
Ray, as posted by Achim DH2VA, not the transformer effect of filtering
itself.
But interesting to read and learn anyway!!

If I understand you correctly, you are using 2 X 10 Kohm resistors for this
(I am surprised that these can be so high in value!), but wouldn't such a
direct DC path to ground work better? (the lower the impedance to ground for
DC / "LF" static, the better?)

It was a (too-) quickly typed posting I guess, because I meant of course the
"ground" or "return" OF THE ANTENNA SYSTEM being connected to the "ground"
connection of the input winding of the broadband transformer.
In an ideal situation this antenna system "ground" or "return" could be
"isolated" from the shack/receiver/safety ground; the output of the
broadband transformer could then be connected to the shack/receiver/safety
ground on one side so that unbalanced filters could still be used?

Also would a galvanic isolation be useful wrt. avoiding ground loops in a
HPSDR setup or is this a non-issue in Mercury/Penelope setups and only of
importance if ALEX would be used as a BPF in a Softrock/Janus/Ozy like
setup?

Another thing I am wondering about is if it would be beneficial if a step-up
of impedance on the output of such a transformer (say 600 Ohms or so) would
give better results for the passive filters?
I played around somewhat with filter simulation software and if I remember
(and simulated!) correctly, it seemed to be of influence. Or am I wrong?

73's,

Henry.