[hpsdr] ALEX - Input protection

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 18:14:51 PDT 2007

Chris:

You are absolutely correct about the lightning.

This is just a transient suppressor, only intended to deal
with lower level spikes and ESD.  The real lightning protection
MUST take place up stream from any transmitter or
receiver.

For reference and reading on lightning protection,
I recommend the papers on the PolyPhaser site.

http://www.polyphaser.com/

http://www.polyphaser.com/technical_notes.aspx

See:

TD1005: Lightning protection inside the equipment is not always a good
idea..
<http://www.polyphaser.com/NR/rdonlyres/C1565001-F81A-4AC2-A98F-E88B8037F988/171/TD10095.pdf>

TD1016: Ham radio station protection.
<http://www.polyphaser.com/NR/rdonlyres/C1565001-F81A-4AC2-A98F-E88B8037F988/182/TD1016.pdf>