[hpsdr] High Performance DDS Oscillator source

Chris Bartram chris at chris-bartram.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 02:53:27 PDT 2007

There's a tutorial on high performance VHF crystal oscillator design on my
little amateur radio web site. <www.blaenffos.org/gw4dguindex.htm> (or is
it .html?) That gives most of the information required to design a very low
phase noise Driscoll crystal oscillator operating in the 100MHz region.

The 'traditional' Butler circuit beloved of many amateur microwavers can be
improved-on...

To get to 1GHz use balanced diode doublers (which have less additive phase
noise than non-linear transistor multipliers).

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to devote to hobby radio at the
moment, so, much as I'd like to, I can't offer to do a design. As people
involved in the microwave SDR project will know, it's currently taking me
months to fit-in work which should take days!

If anyone is seriously interested in producing a design, I'd be willing to
help, but please remember my time limitations.

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU