[hpsdr] Not Hpsdr - A Front-End with an IIP3 > +50dBm ?

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Thu Aug 23 08:50:58 PDT 2007

Indeed, especially if you compute IP3 the way the ARRL labs does, by
raising the level of the two tones injected into the DUT until they 3rd
order product gets to be S5.  That would be really really difficult with
the test equipment they have and a front end with a "50 dBm IP3" and for
most radios to take that much signal, but let's suppose they did it.

It appears from this test that the IP3 and the IMD-DR dynamic range are
large.   However,  if dynamic range, which is the more important thing
takes into account the rise in the noise floor induced by the two tones
or a single tone,  the dynamic range is more limited than would be
indicated by the ARRL test method.

I refer interested readers to the Sherwood test table:

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

I then suggest that ARRL members compare the numbers Sherwood has
measured to those measured by the ARRL labs for the
receivers/transceivers that are compared.   You will see that inevitably
the dynamic range numbers are lower than those measured in the ARRL labs
because Sherwood takes LO phase noise into consideration.  You will see
MANY entries in his table where they are footnoted with "phase noise and
not IMD limited".

I think his Ip3 numbers have been computed from the DR measurement when
the more accurate way to compute IP3 is the S5 test but I would rather
he compute USABLE IP3 and the imputed dynamic range by taking LO phase
noise into account than the other way around.

As usual, Ulrich is right on the money here.

For the superior transceiver being built by Cornell Dentra and being
written up in QEX (and which many know about from his writing and web
page), he does get there with oscillators that have sufficiently low
phase noise to use it.  You cannot even begin to figure out how much it
would cost to build such a thing.  He uses parts that were used in
serious projects and then surplussed and for which the government or
commercial entity paid a boat load of bucks. You might be able to
duplicate his work if you had the resources of Bill Gates or Warren
Buffet to throw around.  It is not reproducible (though it is brilliant).

Bob
N4HY