[hpsdr] Petition RM-11392 - correct info

Don Jackson AE5K ae5k at hpsdr.org
Thu Dec 27 07:32:40 PST 2007

Yesterday I exercised a list administrator's authority to call a halt to
a topic.  I did that to keep the list from digressing into an off-topic
area with faulty or rumored information.

To be fair, I dug further into the real story on the petition that is
before the (USA) FCC, and would like to set the record straight.  I
STILL CONSIDER THIS OFF-TOPIC for this HPSDR list, but hereby lift the
ban for further OT discussion on the list provided it is based on the
correct information presented below.  (But there are better forums on
which to discuss this topic!)

Before I get into that information, let me thank all for the restraint
used and the several private email messages of support I received.  I
would also like to apologize to the original poster, Jonathan G4KLX, in
that I did not intend to cast any judgment on his intentions.  The fact
that it was off-topic, but still related to ham radio operation and
certainly of great interest to many on the list, was *not* the reason
behind my decision to squelch the discussion -- it was the fact that the
information contained in the frantic plea was not correct and not
verifiable at that time.

Mark Miller, N5RFX, the original petitioner describes the historical
sequence (in private email to me, his email address is available on
qrz.com; he is also a member of this list and supporter of HPSDR):

> My petition is RM-11392 and has been since March I think.  The FCC sent out a public notice in August that improperly assigned the petition to the media bureau (MB) and assigned a 15 day comment period.  I totally missed that notice because I did not parse public notices at the time.  I asked the FCC to correct the error, and on December 18, they issued a public notice correcting the mistake and gave an additional 15 day comment period.  I have been trying to nudge Bill Cross at the FCC to bring this out in an NPRM and normal comment period.  He told me that no one had submitted any comments and he had not heard from anyone suggesting this petition be brought forward.
>
> When the second comment period was granted, I then spread the word to the appropriate reflectors and forums.  This comment period is not a result of an NPRM.  There would still have to be an NPRM issued and a typical 30 day comment period.
>
> The petition says it all.  If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me.
>
> 73,
> Mark N5RFX

I found that the method of finding RM-11392 on the FCC website is rather
obscure.  Here is the procedure you may use:

To search for any "RM", use this link:
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi
fill in box 1 with RM-11392 (in this example).  All comments, public
notices, and the petition itself will be displayed in reverse
chronological order (the petition will be found at the bottom or end of
the display since it came "first").

The most recent public notice for RM-11392 dated Dec. 18, 2007 giving an
additional 15 days for comments on the petition:
<
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6519820340

The links in the original posting on this list were correct for viewing
the petition (in two parts, PDF files).  You may get a better copy, all
in one PDF file from Mark's website at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~mdmiller7/arrl_alt/MarkPetition.pdf

Please note that this is a call for comments on the petition only and
NOT for comments of a NPRM (which would be the FCC's proposed changes to
our rules).  If you care to comment, you have 15 days from Dec. 18, 2007
to do so.

Contrary to the original frantic message posted, purportedly by Bonnie
Crystal, it will not become law shortly after January 1 if you don't
comment to "kill" it.  There's no danger of that.  The wheels of the FCC
grind very slowly.

I have not formed an opinion of the purposed changes Mark makes in
RM-11392 as I have not carefully read the proposal yet.  Each reader on
this list can make up his/her own mind on the topic and, for U.S. hams,
may offer comments to the FCC.

I hope this clears the air on this "off topic" subject, and that all
celebrating January 1 have a Happy New Year!  Thanks to the non-US hams
for bearing with us.

73,
Don AE5K
HPSDR Discussion List Administrator