[hpsdr] olpc/hf comms/etc

stoskopf at tri.net stoskopf at tri.net
Sun Dec 23 20:30:25 PST 2007

I'm a bit lost here.  We had a severe ice storm and 100K people were out
of electricity here in central Kansas.  While I was hauling out the
generator, my wife, just for fun got out the crank powered Y2K radio and
we caught the weather data from the one local AM station still on the air.
 I commented that in a few years that would be useless, even the famous
razor blade radios.  SW broadcasting seems to be going digital as will the
local AM.

Are we talking of medium wave/shortwave add on boxes for the olpc for the
digital modes or what?  There will have to be software decoding if the
olpc has enough horsepower.

BTW, got a note from OLPC that my unit would come after Christmas (order #
3xxx).

Also:  the brother of the project leader/founder of this project spoke
here at our Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting last year: the local
chairman's daughter worked for him for a while.  Very formal presentation,
but strange, I don't remember any of the jokes he told.

N0UU