[hpsdr] Call for Project Leaders!

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Feb 11 14:42:46 PST 2007

Here is your chance to not merely lurk, but help get some HPSDR
*hardware* built so the HPSDR *software* can have a place to live ;-)

SPecifically, it would be great to see someone step forward and organize
the the following projetcs:

1) Horton

A high-performance QSD-based receiver module.  Should use Janus if
installed, might be designed to not require Janus.  Probably not yet
another rehash of the QSD we've all grown familiar with, but applying
the newer integrating QSD.

Should make use of bandpass filters - perhaps a daughter board so it can
be used with other receivers, like Mercury.

Or maybe a receiver module needs to be in a small, lightweight shielded
box so it doesn't hear all the digital hash coming from Ozy and ???  It
might hook up using a few low-noise, twisted/shielded differential
signals for control and to slurp the bits out, might not plut into ATLAS
at all.  Or???

2) 1 Gigabit Ethernet-based Ozy

It would be nice if an HPSDR stack didn't have to have a nearby,
attached PC or even a Sasquatch module, but could hang on a high-speed
Ethernet backbone and stream/de-stream its data and commands over Ethernet.

Might need a more powerful processor than the 8051 in the FX2; perhaps
an ARM9 or a MIPS core?

3) Enclosure

This all started with an idea about using a PC case.  However, a
high-performance receiver might have a hard time coexisting with a few
high-speed, unshielded digital boards and provide good performance.
Perhaps someone could investigate/develop a good systems-level solution
for an ATLAS-based collection of HPSDR modules that would allow
configuration into a high-performance transceiver.

Need to account for digital noise, thermal requirements if a 100W PA is
included, power supply issues, how to shield modules or how to extend
modules (LVDS?) to shielded boxes.

I'm not talking about a collection of Hammond die-cast boxes with SMA
connectors and RG-188 running everywhere; I'm thinking more of a
purpose-built solution, the research into which may result in some
guidelines for the Horton, Mercury, Phoenix and other boards/projects.

***

Remember, HPSDR is not an organization, it is intended as a grass-roots
association of interested parties.

To my knowledge, no one is running with these projects yet. This is YOUR
chance!

73,

Lyl eKK7P