[hpsdr] Selectivity design/measurement

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu Feb 15 07:39:51 PST 2007

> I've done some searches and haven't been able to find any information on selectivity of the
> HPSDR (either design goals, or actual measurements with beta hardware.)
>
> Can any body point me in the right direction?

There may be a misconception here.  There is no "HPSDR" in the form of a
final product like, say, an SDR-1000 or an SDR-14.

HPSDR is a collaborative effort to create building blocks from which you
can create your own SDR, tailored to your needs/ wants/ desires.

The initial mostly-hardware building blocks are the ATLAS backplane, Ozy
USB interface + FPGA development board, Janus high-performance A/D and
audio interface, and Pinocchio extender card.

Ozy and Janus in particular will support the SDR-1000, softrocks, etc.
If the radio is QSE/QSD based, Ozy+Janus should provide very good
performance.

Selectivity will be a matter of the DSP back end.  Currently, Ozy+Janus
are running a modified version of PowerSDR.  As you've noted on the Flex
reflector, the displayed graphic of filter bandpass and the realized
selectivity are not necessarily the same.  The filter graphic, in
particular, appears based on calculation sent downstream for further
processing, *not* measurement of the resultant filter based on other
parameters, such as block lengths and so forth.  Keep in mind that the
PowerSDR display GUI is just that - a GUI.

In any event, the HPSDR project will be creating and delivering direct
digital exciters and receivers, as well as improved QSD and QSE boards.
  There is also a low-power, portable QSD/QSE based device, Odyssey,
whose initial application will be SuitSat2.

Lots of exciting things happening, dig in and enjoy!

73,

Lyle KK7P