[hpsdr] Bare Boards

George Medakovich George at Medakovich.com
Fri Feb 16 10:10:14 PST 2007

Philip Covington wrote:

> On 2/16/07, peter at gehughes.us <peter at gehughes.us> wrote:
>

>>Weller WSD81 + WSP80 handle X2  ~ $260
>>Weller ETS tip -  X4 ~ $20
>>Fine curve tip tweezers - approx $15
>>Anti-static work mat - approx $25
>>Kester Water Soluable Flux
>>Kester No-clean solder paste
>>Dyanscope LYNX Stereo Zoom Microscope
>>with Boom and Ring Light ~$8000
>>
>>Setting the parts on the board and handing to the rework girl in the
>>corner
>>and admiring her work under the microscope  $Priceless
>>
>>I am never afraid of a little work....... :-)
>>
>>Peter Hughes
>>N7BMG
>

> You have a $8000 microscope and a rework girl at home for your hobby use? ;-)
>
> Phil N8VB

Had enough of the snow, Phil?

Soldering is still women's work, I guess.  My mom soldered for the King Radio company in Buffalo
in the 1940's.

Fools (and hams) rush in... the handwriting is on the wall: if you want to build your own
circuits you will need to have some surface mount skill.  It's also a personal challenge.
And the costs are a lot like anything else, if you are willing to compromise on time and convenience
you can get by.  Microscopes are available for under $300, even less if you are willing to cobble
parts together and don't mind working with really ugly, beat-up equipment.

Tiny parts are not an unknown challenge to the hobbyist - have you ever seen any of those
diatom sculptures that people make? - it's all done under a microscope.

If worse comes to worse, I'll mount a fine tipped soldering on a rack and pinion positioner (ebay,
$20) and use a web cam with a macro lens to watch it.

In the mid-70's a couple of us were grinding a telescope mirror in the basement.  One of our friends
asked why we were working so cheaply - we could have gotten low paying jobs and just bought a
finished mirror.  It just didn't seem the same...

George Medakovich
KE5DNG