[hpsdr] Front End protection

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.Gov
Thu Feb 22 05:26:49 PST 2007

Cerberus - Latinized form, Kerberos - Greek form.

            Chris - AE6VK

  _____

From: Jeroen Bastemeijer [mailto:J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:14 AM
To: FRANCIS CARCIA
Cc: hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Front End protection

Hi Francis,

It wasn't a god, but a dog-like creature called Ceberus (if my memory
serves me well).

In my opninion a combination of resistors and diodes (to the power suply
lines) is the best solution. The resistors will limit the current and
provide some "soft clipping". By soft-clipping all sorts of distortion
generated by the receiver are avoided.

Regards, Jeroen PE1RGE

FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

  _____

I don't know which Greek God guarded the gate but how are we going to
protect this fast A/D from static and lightning transients? Racal used
an interesting active limiter ahead of the RA6830 because the older
RA6790 had real bad burnout problems with the FETs in the first mixer. I
would think we need more than a NE2 across the input.  Frank WA1GFZ

  _____

HPSDR Discussion List
To post msg: hpsdr at hpsdr.org
HPSDR web page: http://hpsdr.org