[hpsdr] Card dimensions, current and future.

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 25 18:49:26 PST 2007

Hi Lyle,

I know what you're saying:  Max height is the spacing of 20.32mm minus
the thickness of one board, minus some room for thru-hole connector
pins.  If the board is 1mm and we leave 2mm for thru-hole pins, that's
17.32, of allowed component height.

But, that leaves no room for a piece of shielding to go between the cards.

Let's say the maximum component height is 15mm.  That means I've got
2.32mm of space in which to locate an inter-board shield.

Perhaps said inter-board shield isn't needed?  Is there a convention for
a ground plane layer in all of the current/proposed HPSDR boards?  If
each board has a ground plane layer without significant non-shielded
areas, perhaps that is sufficient and the case only need worry about
external shielding?

BTW, nice to see another Army Aviation guy here.

--
Thanks and 73,
Ben, KD5BYB