[hpsdr] Orientation.

Larry Taft ltaft at charter.net
Sun Feb 25 19:12:23 PST 2007

Ben Hall wrote:

> Good evening all,
>
> Another question.  What should be the front of the enclosure?
>
> IE:  Assume you've got a Janus plugged into an Atlas sitting on the
> table in front of you.  What is the front of this assembly?  Is it the
> edge of the Janus card with the IQ IN, Line In, Mic, Line Out, Phone,
> and IQ Out connectors?  Or, is that the rear of the assembly?
>
> I would think that the edge with the above mentioned connectors is the
> front, as the other end is the end that grows larger in dimensions.
>
> thanks and 73,
> ben, KD5BYB

Yes, yes, YES!  The connectors are on the FRONT edge of the card.  I'm
tired of having climb on the bench to reach behind the "old style" PC
boxes to reach cables, connectors etc.

What I did is take a smallish ATX box and swap the CD and Floppy drive
tray with the power supply.  Now the only thing on the "back" of the box
is the power cord.  The cd/floppy drives and all the cables to the ATX
and PCI cards are on the FRONT.  Same way I mounted the SDR-1000.  Fan
and switch are in the back.  Connectors and cables are in the front.
The power supply is next to it with a genuine power switch that turns
everything on or off.

Got it?  Connectors/cables are the FRONT.  Just like military and old
timey broadcast stuff.  Since we don't have any more need for knobs and
meters on the radio/computer lets make it convenient for us old farts
with gimpy knees.  The cables can be dressed in neat little trays and
the folks that have need for the flat front that looks like a piece of
furniture can add a cover.  Brushed stainless, just like your internet
ready refrigerator only smaller.

Go for it Ben!

73, Larry K2LT