[hpsdr] Re Export experts?

Trevor Smithers tsmithers at cix.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 09:07:00 PST 2007

Suggestions for shipping to EU

(1)  Use USPS, specifically USPS Global Express Mail as this service includes
on-line tracking and only takes 3/5 days.
UPS and FedX cost a bit more, however the following comments apply to all three
services

(2)  You will probably need to quote a commodity code on the Customs forms. This
is a bit of a minefield, but it might be useful to know that Elecraft generally use
8525-2080 and 8529-9040 which usually results in no import duty being charged
on entry to the EU, we do have to pay VAT however but that's nothing to do with
this. There are a number of past discussions on shipping around the world in the
Elecraft mail list archive.

(3)  I think the most important aspect is the description of the contents. Something
along the lines of
"Amateur (Ham) Radio Hobby Equipment - assembled but non-functional pcb(s)
supplied as part of a kit"

I'm no expert, but as I see it, the pcb's can be regarded as part of a kit because
they don't work until connected to other parts of the system and as far as I'm aware
only complete, fully functional electronic equipment is subject to import duty.

Anyway, offered for what its worth.

73 to all
Trevor  G0KTN