[hpsdr] Export experts?

J.D. Bakker jdb at lartmaker.nl
Tue Feb 27 13:10:38 PST 2007

>Ahti Aintila wrote:
>  >
>>  The Customs Duty is 0% in the EU countries for items described
>>  something like "Amateur Radio Transceiver Kit (Circuit Board)", US
>>  Customs Code 8525 2080 900 . The Value Added Tax (VAT) varies in
>>  different countries. In Finland it is 22%. Anyhow, check the
>>  information in advance and find the best code.
>
>   As already said, using USPS the 99% of the times the small packets
>do not pass through the custom, especially if the declare value is
>below 200 USD (I said "declared" value :-), thus avoiding to pay
>that outrageous VAT tax, 20% for Italy.

That might be true for Italy. In The Netherlands, almost all USPS
shipments with a goods+shipment value over EUR45 *are* charged with
VAT. What's worse, the privatized Dutch Postal Service charge an
EUR15 handling fee (up from EUR5 a year ago), which for small
shipments often dominates the total cost of importing. This is
relatively new, too; about two years ago the situation was similar to
what you describe.

YMMV is all I'm saying.

JDB
[who doesn't mind the VAT as much as the handling fee, which is left
to the whims of whichever local service gets to deliver the package.
And don't get me started on the fact that lately Global Express Mail
is reliably slower than regular Air mail...]
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lartmaker.nl/