[hpsdr] Need help on deciding what exactly to order

pvharman at arach.net.au pvharman at arach.net.au
Wed Feb 28 20:40:24 PST 2007

Hi Joe,

I'm presently working in the Penelope exciter project so may be able to answer
some of your questions.

What I am trying to do is enable as many options as possible. For example,
Penelope has her own microphone ADC so a basic transmitter could consist of a
Penelope board and an Ozy board.  However, if you already have a Janus board,
and your microphone is already plugged into that then it would be inconvenient
to have to swap it to Penelope. So, under software control, you will be able to
select which card you want to use for your microphone input.

Similarly, Mercury will have a Line Out and Headphones output. Hence a minimal
receiver would be a Mercury board and an Ozy board. But if you already have
your audio routed via a Janus board it would be nice to select that for the
receive audio.  Again I plan to have that as a software option.

Most of this week has been spent making subtle changes to signals over the
Atlas bus so we can keep this flexibility. So far this looks workable but I
have no idea what other cards/designers etc will want to hook onto the Atlas
bus in the future. At this stage all I can do is confirm the intent to keep the
configuration as flexible as possible.

Hope that helps.

73's Phil...VK6APH